Potential Discussion Questions
- How did it make you feel when you voted?
- How many people voted in this election? Why do some people not vote? How do you feel about that?
- How do the student votes compare to the actual results?
- Which states went red and which went blue? Why do you think this might be?
- How does geography seem to influence political ideas?
- Why is it important to study the candidates and issues before an election?
- Is voting the only way you can make a difference? What else can you do to make a difference?
- Now that we have elected a new President, what changes do you predict might happen?
- What are some things the new president can do to make people feel good about our country and each other?
Have students complete the following statements and then discuss:
“As a whole, I think the American people feel _________ because ___________.”
“I feel _________ about the election results because _____________.”
Have your students work in small groups to come up with a list of priorities that the new president/governor/senator should tackle first to help move the country forward. Have each group share their list and discuss.